Mateen Akhtar, M.D., F.A.C.C.
Dr. Akhtar is an invasive cardiologist who evaluates and treats all aspects of cardiovascular medicine. He specializes in consultative and preventive cardiology, echocardiography, nuclear cardiology, and cardiac catheterization. He has authored numerous articles and book chapters in cardiology and is an Assistant Adjunct Professor of Medicine at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Dr. Akhtar volunteers in many community-based medical initiatives. He has led a series of “heart-to-heart” radio programs to promote heart disease awareness in Johnston County. He is a member of North Carolina Heart & Vascular’s quality improvement team and has collaborated with local physicians through participation in Medical Staff Leadership, Critical Care, and Emergency Care committees at Johnston Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Akhtar was born and raised in California and has been married for over 15 years. He and his wife live in Raleigh with their three children. In his spare time, Dr. Akhtar enjoys swimming, playing tennis and squash, and is active in faith-based activities. He is also fluent in Spanish and Urdu.
FELLOWSHIP & POSTGRADUATE TRAINING
- Fellowship, Cardiovascular Disease, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Residency & Internship, Internal Medicine, University of California At San Francisco
- Medical Degree: University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
- Undergraduate Degree: University of California, San Diego, Summa Cum Laude
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Nuclear Cardiology
- Fellow, The American College of Cardiology
- American Medical Association
- North Carolina Medical Society
- Regent’s Scholar, University of California
- Highest Distinction in General Scholarship, University of California
- Teaching Award in Biology, University of California
- Phi Beta Kappa
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
- Akhtar M, Tuczu EM, Kapadia S,et al. Aortic root morphology in patients undergoing percutaneous aortic valve replacement. Evidence of aortic root remodeling. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2009;137(4):950-956.
- Kurra V, Schoenhagen P, Roselli EE, et al. Prevalence of significant peripheral arterial disease in patients evaluated for percutaneous aortic valve insertion. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2009;137:1258-1264.
- Akhtar M, Ordovas K, Martin AJ, Higgins CB, Michaels AD. Effect of chronic sustained-release dipyridamole upon myocardial blood flow and left ventricular function in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy. Congestive Heart Failure 2007;13:130-135.
- Akhtar M, Wu GF, Zhen ZS, Du ZM, Michaels AD. Effect of external counterpulsation on plasma nitric oxide and endothelin-1 levels. American Journal of Cardiology 2006;98:28-30.
- Akhtar M, Goldschlager NF. Brugada electrocardiographic pattern due to tricyclic antidepressant overdose. Journal of Electrocardiology 2006;39:336-339.
- Akhtar M, Goldman J, Dhaliwal G, Lauring A. A 45 year-old man with human immunodeficiency syndrome presents with fevers, rash, cough, and leg pain. Cecil Textbook of Medicine Online Case of the Week, April 24, 2006.
- Akhtar M, Vakaria KT, Mishell JM,et al. Randomized study of the safety and clinical utility of rotational versus standard coronary angiography using a flat-panel detector. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 2005;66:43-49.
- Sutton SW, Akhtar M, Schmidt K, Fischer WH, Vale WW, Craig AG. Characterization of the N-linked glycan of recombinantly-expressed corticotropin releasing factor binding protein. European Journal of Mass Spectrometry 2000;6(4):335-346.
- Craig AG, Norberg T, Griffin D,et al. Contulakin-G, an O-glycosylated invertebrate neurotensin. Journal of Biological Chemistry 1999;274:13752-13759.
- England L, Imperial J, Jacobsen R, Craig AG, Gulyas J, Akhtar M, Rivier J, Julius D, Olivera BM. Inactivation of a serotonin-gated ion channel by a polypeptide toxin from marine snails. Science 1998;281:575-578.
- Akhtar M. Left Ventriculography and Aortography. In: Introductory Guide to Cardiac Catheterization, 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009.
- Akhtar M, Griffin BG. Infective Endocarditis. In: Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine, 3rd edition. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008.
- Akhtar M. (section editor) Cardiology. In: The Saint-Frances Guide to Outpatient Medicine, 2nd edition. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008.
- Akhtar M. Cardiovascular Physical Examination. In: University of California San Francisco Guide to Outpatient Medicine, 2nd edition; 2006.
- Akhtar M. Evaluation of Chest Pain. In: University of California San Francisco Guide to Outpatient Medicine, 2nd edition; 2006.
ABSTRACTS AND INVITED PRESENTATIONS
- “Controversies surrounding the new cholesterol guidelines” North Carolina Heart & Vascular Cardiovascular Disease Symposium 2014: Building A Network of Care. Raleigh, NC. April 12, 2014.
- “Update on clopidogrel resistance and use of pharmacogenetics in clinical practice.” Cardiovascular Disease Symposium 2011: Delivering Innovative Care. Raleigh, NC. April 9, 2011.
- “Contemporary issues in lipid management: CRP screening, niacin and plaque regression, vytorin concerns.” Cardiovascular Disease Symposium 2010: Health Care in Evolution. Raleigh, NC. February 27, 2010.
- “Longitudinal remodeling of the aortic root in patients with calcific aortic stenosis.” European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Munich, Germany 8/08. European Heart Journal 2008;29:246.
- “Aortic root remodeling in calcific aortic stenosis: implications for percutaneous aortic valve replacement.” Society of Cardiac Computed Tomography (SCCT) Orlando, FL 7/08. Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography 2008;2(1):S36.
- “Pre-operative assessment of aortic root morphology using multidetector computed tomography in patients undergoing percutaneous aortic valve replacement.” American College of Cardiology (ACC) Chicago, IL 5/08. Journal of American College of Cardiology 2008;51(10):A152.
- “Use of multi-detector computed tomography in the pre-operative assessment of aortic root morphology in patients undergoing percutaneous aortic valve replacement.” North American Society for Cardiac Imaging (NASCI) Washington, DC 10/07. International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging 2007.
- “Pre-operative evaluation of aortic root morphology using multidetector computed tomography in patients undergoing percutaneous aortic valve replacement.” Society of Cardiac Computed Tomography (SCCT) Washington, DC 7/07. Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography 2007;1(15):S4.
- “Randomized study of the safety and clinical utility of rotational versus standard coronary angiography using a flat-panel detector.” Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI) Ponte Vedra, FL 5/05.Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 2005;65(1):129.
- “Initial response to statin therapy predicts response to dose titration.” American College of Cardiology (ACC) New Orleans, LA 3/04. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2004;43(5):479A-480A.
- “Primary pulmonary hypertension patients with small hemodynamic responses to inhaled nitric oxide represent a distinct subgroup.” American Thoracic Society (ATS) Toronto, Canada 5/00. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2000; 161(3):A420.