George Adams, M.D., M.H.S., F.A.C.C., F.S.C.A.I.
Dr. Adams has completed fellowships in general and interventional cardiology. His board certifications include interventional cardiology, cardiovascular disease and internal medicine.
Dr. Adams sees patients with all cardiovascular conditions and has a special interest in amputation prevention; complex peripheral vascular interventions with the use of laser, orbital and directional atherectomy; complex coronary revascularization; intravascular imaging; carotid artery stenting, renal artery stenosis, development of regional systems of care for the treatment of ST-elevation myocardial infarction and critical limb ischemia and device development for the management of coronary and peripheral vascular disease.
- Director of Cardiovascular and Peripheral Vascular Research, Rex Hospital, Raleigh, N.C.
- Family, skiing, soccer, and raising live stock
FELLOWSHIP & POSTGRADUATE TRAINING
- General Cardiology Fellowship, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- Chief Fellow, Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowship, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- Masters of Health Sciences, Duke University, Durham, NC
- Internship/Residency: The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- Medical Degree: East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, NC
- Graduate Degree: Master of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, Duke University, Durham, NC
- Undergraduate Degree: North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Cardiovascular Disease
- American Board of Interventional Cardiology
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- Fellow, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, American Heart Association
- Member, American Society of Internal Medicine
- Member, North Carolina Medical Society
- Complex Peripheral Vascular Interventions
- Complex Coronary Interventions
- VISION Trial (Evaluation of the Pantheris Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging Atherectomy System for use in the Peripheral Vasculature) CEC Member; 2014
- Primary Investigator for CLARITY 1: Complete lesion assessment with FFR and IVUS Technology. 2013-present
- Primary Investigator for EPAD: A randomized, open-label, parallel-group, multi-center study of adding edoxaban or clopidogrel to aspirin to maintain patency in subjects with peripheral arterial disease following femoropopliteal endovascular intervention – edoxaban in Peripheral Arterial Disease. 2013-present.
- Sub-Investigator for EVOLVE II: A prospective multicenter trial to Assess the Safety and Effectiveness of the Synergy Everolimus-Eluting Platinum Chromium Coronary Stent System for the Treatment of Atherosclerotic Lesions. 2013-present.
- Sub-Investigator for INPACT: Randomized trial of INPACT Admiral Drug Eluting Balloon vs Standard PTA for the treatment of SFA and Popliteal lesions. 2012-present.
- Sub-Investigator for CANOPY: Carotid Artery Stenting Outcomes in the Standard Risk Population for Carotid Endarterectomy. 2012-present.
- National Co-Investigator as well as the clinical site Primary Investigator for the CSI Liberty 360 Trial. Evaluating orbital atherectomy in all Rutherford subtypes of PAD. 2012-present.
- National Investigator as well as the clinical site Primary Investigator for the Closys Closure Device Registry. 2012-present.
- Primary Investigator for the Flexible Stenting Solutions OPEN Trial. Evaluation of the safety and efficacy of the Self-expanding stent system. 2012-present.
- Primary Investigator for the Volcano Corporation Guide SFA Trial. Prospective, non-blinded, non-randomized post market registry of IVUS involving the SFA. 2012-2013.
- Primary Investigator for the Cook Medical Tibiopedal Access Post-Market Registry. 2012-present.
- Primary Investigator for the TriReme Medical/Chocolate PTA Balloon Catheter Registry. 2012-present.
- Sub-Investigator for ALERTS: Angelmed for Early Recognition and Treatment of STEMI Study. 2011-present.
- Sub-Investigator for Momentum: A prospective, multi-center, nonrandomized, single-arm clinical trial to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of the Absolute Pro peripheral self expanding stent system in superficial femoral artery and popliteal artery lesions. 2011-present.
- Primary Investigator for CYPRESS Dual Antiplatelet Therapy. A Prospective, Randomized, Multi-Center, Double Blinded Trial to Assess the Effectiveness and Safety of Different Durations of Dual Anti-Platelet Therapy (DAPT) in Subjects Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention with the CYPHER Sirolimus-eluting Coronary Stent. 2010-2011.
- Primary Investigator for the Carotid Stenting for High Surgical Risk Patients; Evaluating Outcomes Through the Collection of Clinical Evidence. 2010-2011.
- Primary Investigator for the Medtronic Zotarolimus-Eluting Peripheral Stent System for the Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction in Males with Sub-Optimal Response to PDE5 Inhibitors. 2010-2011.
- Primary Investigator for the CONFIRM peripheral artery disease registry. An evaluation of the ability of the Diamondback 360o to effectively remove blockages in the arteries, and to determine if using this device will reduce the need for stent placement and the use of balloon inflation to widen the artery. 2009-2010.
- Primary Investigator for XIENCE-V Everolimus Eluting Coronary Stent System Dual Antiplatelet Therapy. The evaluation of the safety and effectiveness of 12 versus 30 months of blood thinning medicines in patients who are implanted with XIENCE V EECSS. 2009-2010.
- Co-Primary Investigator for the Timely Intervention in Myocardial Emergency – Multicenter trial. 2005-2010
- Investigation of the “Prediction of significant coronary artery disease by combined cardiac positron emission tomography and coronary computed tomography angiography: A comparison with cardiac catheterization” under the direction of Salvador Borges-neto, M.D., Duke University Medical Center – Cardiology and Radiology. 2006-2007.
- Investigation of “The effects of aprotinin on inflammatory and coagulant mechanisms on endothelial cells: The effects of aprotinin on endothelial cell coagulant biology” under the direction of Jeff Lawson, M.D., Duke University Medical Center – Vascular Surgery. 2006-2007.
- Investigation of “The evolution of factor Xa antagonists in cardiovascular disease” under the direction of Richard Becker, M.D., Duke University Medical Center – Cardiology and Hematology, 2006.
- Investigation of “The role of an internet based communication tool in a multi-center clinical Trial: TIME to Groove” under the direction of Galen Wagner, M.D., Duke University Medical Center – Cardiology. 2006
- Investigation of “The role of sterol regulatory element binding proteins and peroxisome proliferator activated receptors in diabetic mice” under Moshe Levi, M.D., University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center – Nephrology, 2001-2003
- Investigation of “The role of smokeless tobacco and antioxidants on myocardial infarction” under Eric L. Fearrington, M.D., East Carolina University School of Medicine – Cardiology. 1999-2000
- Investigation of “Factors which decrease the time for injuries to heal after undergoing intramedullary nailing of the tibia” under Andrew Jones, M.D., Wake AHEC Department of Orthopedics. 1995-1996
- Das T, Mustapha J, Indes J, Vorhies R, Beasley R, Doshi N, Adams GL. Technique Optimization of Orbital Atherectomy in Calcified Peripheral Lesions of the Lower Extremities. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. June 2013.
- Adams G, Mustapha J, Ansel G, Gray W. Next steps to Collecting More Data for Peripheral Vascular Patients – a Continued Discussion Regarding Rigorous Scientific Data. Vascular Disease Management (In Press)
- Lee MS, Yang T, Adams G. Pooled Analysis of the CONFIRM Registries: Outcomes in Diabetic Patients Treated with Orbital Atherectomy for Peripheral Arterial Disease. J Endovasc Ther (In Press)
- Lee MS, Yang T, Adams G, Mustapha J, Das T. Pooled Analysis of the CONFIRM Registries: Outcomes in Renal Disease Patients Treated for Peripheral Arterial Disease Using Orbital Atherectomy. J Invasive Cardiol (In Press)
- Adams G, Indes J, Mustapha JA, Vorhies RW. TCT-549 Sub-analysis of the CONFIRM Registries: Outcomes in Claudicant Patients Treated for Peripheral Arterial Disease with Orbital Atherectomy. J Am Coll of Cardiol. 2013; 62 (18 Suppl 1): B165.
- Das T, Adams G, Indes J, Mustapha JA. TCT-540 Pooled Analysis of the CONFIRM Registries: Outcomes in Critical Limb Ischemic Patients Treated for Peripheral Arterial Disease with Orbital Atherectomy. J Am Coll of Cardiol. 2013;62(18 Suppl 1):B163.
- Pompliano M, Adams GL. Methods of Acquisition/Interpretation. Role of Automatic versus Paramedic Interpretation; Telemedicine. Escobar and Barbagelata’s Prehospital Management of the Acute Infarction Patient Textbook. 2013 (Submitted for publication)
- Adams GL, Pompliano M. What is on the Horizon for low profile CTO devices? Endovascular Today May 2013.
- Pompliano M, Adams GL. Retrograde Approach to Crossing CTOs in the Setting of CLI. Endovascular Today, November 2012.
- Pompliano M, Adams GL. An Uncommon Approach through a Profunda Collateral; Utilizing a Transcollateral Approach to Revascularize a Superficial Femoral Artery CTO. Endovascular Today, October 2012.Adams GL, Gardner SJ, Gardner J, Mustapha JA. Exotic Access, Techniques, and Devices for Infrapopliteal CTOs. Endovascular Today, May 201
- Covington S, Huang C, Gardner S, Maynard C, Adams GL. Ultrasound Mediated Oxygen Delivery to Lower Extremity Wounds. Wound Repair and Regeneration; 2012. (accepted for publication)
- Gardner S, Huang C, Singh H, Adams GL. Amputation as the Last Resort. Endovascular Today August 2011.
- Adams G, Ghassan A, Lee BA, Maynard C, Campbell PT, Wagner GS, Barbagelata A. From Theory to Practice: Implementation of Pre-Hospital Electrocardiogram Transmission in ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction – A Multicenter Experience. Journal of Invasive Cardiology 2010:22(11);520-25.
- Adams GL, Khanna PK, Staniloae CS, Abraham JP, Sparrow EM. Optimal Techniques with the Diamondback 360 system Achieve Effective Results for the Treatment of Peripheral Arterial Disease. Submitted for publication Aug.2010.
- Adams GL, Manson RJ, Hasselblad V, Milton L, Lawson JH. Acute in-vivo evaluation of gelfoamTM plus saline and gelfoam plus human thrombin using a liver square lesion model. Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis 2009:28(1);1-5
- Washam J, Adams GL. Risks and Benefits of Antiplatelet Therapy in Uremic Patients. ACKD 2008 15(4):370-7.
- Lee BA, Adams GL, Campbell PT, Patterson J, Maynard C, Wagner GS. Prehospital Wireless Transmission of Electrocardiograms to a Cardiologist Reduces Door-to-PCI Times to Less Thank One-Half of the ACC/AHA Guidelines. JACC 2008:51(10) Supp 1; A198.
- Trimble MA, Velasquez EJ, Adams GL, Honeycutt EF, Pagnanelli RA, Barnhart HX, Chen J, Iskandrian AE, Garcia EV, Borges-Neto S. Repeatability and Reproducibility in Phase Analysis of Gated Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography Myocardial Perfusion Imaging Used to Quantify Cardiac Dyssynchrony. Nuc Med Communications 2008:4;374-81.
- Adams GL, Trimble MA, Brosnan RB, Russo CA, Rusmand D, Honeycutt EF, Shaw LK, Hurwitz LM, Turkington TG, Hanson MW, Pagnanelli RA, Borges-Neto S. Evaluation of Combined Cardiac Positron Emission Tomography and Coronary Computed Tomography Angiography for the Detection of Coronary Artery Disease. Nuclear Communications 2008:29(7);593-8.
- Adams GL, Manson RJ, Giangiacomo DM, Fronheiser L, Nightingale R, McCall S, Hasselblad V, Shaw LK, Milton L, Lawson JH. Effectiveness of Glycerol Mono-oleate as a Biosealant. Journal of Invasive Cardiology 2008:20(1);29-34.
- Barbagelata A, Perna ER, Clemmensen P, Uretsky BF, Canella JP, Califf RM, Granger CB, Adams GL, Merla R, Birnbaum Y. Time to Reperfusion in Acute MI. Its Time to Reduce it! Journal of Electrocardiology 2007: 40(3);257-64.
- Adams GL, Mills JS, Melloni C, Allen LA, Jolicoeur M, Wang T, Chan M, Majidi M, Lopes RD. Highlights from the 56th Annual Scientific Sessions of the American College of Cardiology: March 25 to 27, 2007, Atlanta, Georgia. Am Heart J 2007:154(2);247-59.
- Mills JS, Adams GL, Tricoci P, Melloni C, Joliceur EM, Wang TW, Thomas KL. Highlights from the 20th Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association: November 12 to 15, 2006 Chicago, Illinois. Am Heart J 2007:153(2);213-223.
- Borges-Neto S, Pagnanelli RA, Shaw LK, Honeycutt E, Shwartz SC, Adams GL, Coleman RE. Clinical results of a novel wide beam reconstruction method for shortening scan time of Tc-99m cardiac SPECT perfusion studies. Journal of Nuclear Cardiology 2007 Jul; 14(4):555-565.
- Merla R, Adams G, Birnbaum Y, Uretsky B, Wagner G, Barbagelata A. Wireless ECG in early diagnosis and triaging of ST-elevation myocardial infarction: the TIME study. Journal of Electrocardiology 2007:40(1); S39-41.
- Bensimhon D, Adams GL, Borges-Neto S. Effect of exercise training on ventricular function, dyssynchrony, resting myocardial perfusion, and clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure: a nuclear ancillary study of Heart Failure and a Controlled Trial Investigating Outcomes of Exercise TraiNing (HF-ACTION); design and rationale. Am Heart Jour 2007 Jul;154(1);46-53.
- Adams GL, Tuttle RH, Shaw LK, Smith WT, Jain D, Coleman RK, Whellan D, Borges-Neto S. Prediction of mortality in patients with documented coronary artery disease: A comparison between 99mTc tetrofosmin and 99mTc sestamibi. Nucl Med Commun 2007:28(6);457-63.
- Strauss DG, Sprague PQ, Underhill K, Maynard C, Adams GL, Kessinich A, Sketch MH, Berger PB, Marcozzi D, Granger CB, Wagner G. Paramedic transtelephonic communication to cardiologist of clinical and electrocardiographic assessment for rapid reperfusion of ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Journal of Electrocardiology 2007:40(3);265-70.
- Adams GL, Manson RJ, Turner I, Lawson JH. The Balance of Thrombosis and Hemorrhage in Surgery. Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America 2007:21(1);13-24.
- Adams GL, Campbell PT, Adams JM, Strauss DG, Wall K, Patterson J, Shuping KB, Maynard C, Young D, Corey C, Thompson A, Lee BA, Wagner GS. Effectiveness of Pre-hospital Wireless Transmission of Electrocardiograms to a Cardiologist via Handheld Device for Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction (From the Timely Intervention in Myocardial Emergency, North East Experience [TIME-NE]). AJC 2006;98:1160-64.
- Lou, E., Adams, G.L. A Case of Tuberculous Pericarditis: A Rare but Deadly Disease. American Journal of Internal Medicine 2006;119(8):e1-2
- Strauss DG, Sprague PQ, Underhill K, Maynard C, Adams GL, Kessenich A, Sketch MH, Berger PB, Marcozzi D, Granger CB, Wagner GS. Direct call from ambulance to coronary care unit to inititate primary percutaneous intervention for ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Acad Emerg Med 2006; 13(5): suppl 14.
- Adams GL, Campbell P, Adams J, et al. Pre-hospital Wireless Transmission of Electrocardiograms to a Cardiologist via Handheld Device for Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction; the Timely Intervention in Myocardial Emergency, North East Experience (TIME-NE). Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2006; 47(4):383A.
- Adams GL, Brosnan R, Rasband JD, Russo C, Hurwitz L, Turkington T, Kandzari D, Hanson MW, Coleman RE, Borges-Neto S. Combined non-invasive assessment of myocardial perfusion, ventricular function, and coronary artery anatomy with exercise or pharmacologic stress cardiac PET/CT imaging studies. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2006; 47(supplement 1):205P.
- Adams GL, Ambati SR, Adams JM, Borges-Neto S. Role of Nuclear Imaging after Coronary Revascularization. Journal of Nuclear Cardiology 2006;13(2):163-69.
- Goyal A, Tricocci P, Melloni C, Mills JS, Thomas KL, Adams GL, Mitchell RG, Turer AT. Highlights from the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, November 13 to 16, 2005, Dallas, TX. American Heart Journal 2006; 151:295-307.
- Adams GL, Kandzari DE, Mark DB. Multi-vessel disease: Medical and Revascularization Options. Ellis and Holmes Strategic Approaches in Coronary Intervention. (2006)
- Campbell P, Patterson J, Cromer D, Wall K, Adams GL, Albano A, Corey C, Fox P, Gardner J, Hawthorne B, Lipton J, Sejersten M, Thompson A, Wilfong S, Maynard C. Prehospital triage of acute myocardial infarction: wireless transmission of electrocardiograms to the on-call cardiologist via a handheld computer. Journal of Electrocardiology 2005;38:300-09.
- Dirschl DR, Dahners LE, Adams GL, Crouch JH, Wilson FC. Correlating selection criteria with subsequent performance as residents. Clinical Orthopaedics 2002; 399: 265-71.
- Dirschl DR, Adams GL. Reliability in evaluating letters of recommendation. Academic Medicine 2000; 75:1029.
- Dirschl DR, Adams GL. A critical assessment of factors influencing reliability in the classification of fractures, using fractures of the tibial plafond as a model. Journal of Orthopedic Trauma 1997; 11:471-476.
- Dirschl DR, Adams GL. Classification of fractures of the tibial plafond: Can we improve interobserver reliability? The Southern Medical Journal 1996; 89: 85.
- Adams GL. The mass of venom injected by cottonmouth snakes into live, euthanized and dead rodent prey. North Carolina State University Book of Abstracts 1996; V: 2.